• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Fuel/Smoke System

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bf92

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I got a message from a forum member on my phone on Saturday, August 17, about the valving on my dual-use fuel/smoke tank. I can't find it on the phone, so I hope whoever sent it sees this. The main fuel tank is plumbed to MAIN on the Andair valve and has a flop tube. Only the main tank can be used for aerobatics. When in the AUX position fuel is drawn from the aux tank at the bottom rear of the tank. There is no flop tube for fuel in the aux tank. When the aux tank has smoke oil in it the Andair valve must be in the MAIN position. When the aux tank has fuel in it the smoke valve must be locked in the OFF position.

For cross-country flight I fill both tanks with fuel, with the smoke valve locked OFF. I burn off the aux fuel first so that tank is empty on arrival for the show. The smoke tank can then be filled with smoke oil. When the smoke oil valve is ON oil is drawn from the tank thru a flop tube, completely separate plumbing from the fuel system. However, if fuel is in the aux tank and the smoke valve is opened and the pump turned on, fuel will be injected into the exhaust system and a fire would surely start. If smoke oil is in the aux tank and the Andair valve is turned to AUX smoke oil will be drawn into the engine and engine failure is assured.

It is all a matter of procedure. I had the same type system on my Pitts S-1S with an external belly tank, and a split main tank for fuel and smoke, and never had any trouble or cross contamination problems at all. Just be careful! Next week I can post a schematic of the system, but I am leaving town in the morning for a show in Sheridan, WY, so can't post until I get back.
1724297394119.jpeg

Latest posts

Back