• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

0320-A1A engine inspection and borescope pics: opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fidot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy there folks!

On the Chickenhouse Charger I have inherited from Glenn 'FreeRangeQuark', there is an O320-A1A that was overhauled around 1980 and has around 1000H tach hours on her.

I stuck a camera into my cylinders, and took some pictures (below). I have very little engine-fu unfortunately in terms of assessing jugs and valves using pictures. I added some notes, too. I would appreciate your wisdom :).

Side note. Blackstone is telling me that oil has elevated chrome. Their average is 8PPM. Analysis averages are:

2019: 15PPM
2018: 9PPM
2017: missing
2016: 7PPM
2015: 10PPM
2014: missing
2013: 12PPM

They note this indicates ring wear. I do _not_ have compression numbers -- the motor is pickled ATM since I am doing a lot of minor fixes on the plane and rebuilding electrical, and will get those when I de-pickle it.

Note 1

Intake valves, 1 and 3:

upload_2019-7-7_19-28-51.png

upload_2019-7-7_19-29-23.png

Intake valves, 2 and 4:
upload_2019-7-7_19-29-50.png

upload_2019-7-7_19-30-18.png

I do not understand the "crescent" shaped discoloration on #1 and #3... Also, I do not understand why
#2 has so much more carbon on it than the rest of them.

Note 2

Cylinder #1 walls has.. "scratches"? (I'm talking about the vertical parallel lines, not the oil smudges of course :) ).

upload_2019-7-7_19-32-25.png

Note 3

Exhaust valves seem healthy to me.

Latest posts

Back