• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

50 years after Richard Bach's "Nothing by chance"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Kristopher. New member here. I guess this is an introduction post (intro at end, below), but I also want to ask a question to you all.

How feasible do you think it is to do today what Richard Bach did 50 years ago when he wrote his book and movie "Nothing by chance"?

Yeah, as we all know so much "progress" has happened in the last 50 years. So much of the open spaces and rural areas of the 70s has been divided and developed. So many roads. So many cell phone towers. So many telephone, fiberoptic, cable & electric lines on poles. So many fences.

And so many regulations. So much litigation. Nowadays I see a nauseating amount of billboards on the side of the road for lawyers looking for clients to sue other people. So much fear. So much division.

But, ever since I read "nothing by chance" when I was a kid in the 80s I've wanted to own a biplane and explore the United States and camp out.

I know that I can choose grass strips around the country to accomplish that. But is there any glimmer of feasibility left in this hyper complex modern world that we live in to land in farmers fields and not get shot or sued or arrested or attacked by the FAA for being within 500 feet of something?

I feel like probably those days are long gone unless maybe you are in Idaho or Alaska where there's a heritage off landing off airport, but what do you all think?

Not talking about giving rides for money. Just going cross country and landing off airport.

--

My intro: My name is Kristopher. I'm 50. Currently living in central Mexico. Born in St. Louis. first flight in a J3 in 1987 in NY. Current ASEL student pilot coming up on my check ride in a FL flight school. 80 hours total time ASEL. A couple hours tailwheel. A few hours sailplane. 200 hours in paragliders. Some in hang gliders, Some in paramotors, and a little bit in ultralights. Finally in a financial place in my life where I can afford to finish my PPL and get a low cost plane.

First goals: finish my ASEL PPL, get my tailwheel endorsement, take basic acrobatics with Patty Wagstaff, buy a 2-place biplane and fly next summer around the USA, Canada and Alaska in a long cross country just for the joy of it.

Latest posts

Back