• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

A "non-solo" solo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickRice

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The note about the young lady who soloed the Jenny got me to thinking about a young fellow that I taught to fly in the Cub. He was ready to solo way before his 16th birthday, but I'd promised his parents that I wouldn't solo him before his birthday, because they wanted to have a big party at the airport on the day he soloed. (He ended up soloing the Cub and his grandpa's C-172 on his birthday.)

Anyway, I wanted to let him know that he was ready to solo, but I was obliged to honor my commitment to his parents, so I told him that I'd ride in the plane with him while my eyes were completely closed from taxi to touchdown.

I did it several times, but I'll admit that it was probably the hardest thing I've ever done in an airplane. Way harder than watching a first-time solo pilot from the ground. Every time the wing dipped, every time the plane bounced or turned, I WANTED to open my eyes, even though I knew he was plenty competent to do it all by myself.

I'm sure that if the engine had quit, I'd have opened my eyes and taken over, but if you've never done it before, I'll challenge you to ride with a very young student without opening your eyes. It's much tougher than I'd anticipated!

Latest posts

Back