• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Acro Bipe Fly-Off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewrichards

Reaction score
I wasn't too sure which section to post this. We seem to rely on information from vendors, be it engine or propeller manufacturers, kit companies, after marker suppliers etc. As a consumer, I make decisions based on this information which in some instances may be theoretical, different test methodology etc. I am not overly interested in "Sales Hype"
I got to thinking, whilst having fun during the process I propose an "International Biplane Faceoff". The proposed line up would be something like this:
Pitts S1S/SSRaven 1XSWolf PittsPitts S2BPitts S2CRaven 2XSPitts Model 12
Alan Cassidy has given aircraft an Aerobatic Suitability Index in his book "Better Aerobatics". The Model 12 (pf) has been ranked 5th, Pitts Model 12 9th, S2B 20th, S1S, 21st - the others on the list havent got a mention.
3 pilots flying each of the aircraft in a number of scenario's and challenges - side by side. For example, roll rate, vertical penetration, snaps etc etc - 2 aircraft side by side. Similar to the what Spencer Suderman runs acro racing.
All aircraft are then put through an Unlimited routine (all would be capable) in a box, each pilot does 7 sequences - 1 in each aircraft. Make it a known sequence. Then a Unknown followed by a 4 minute free.
We invite the engine manufactures to participate, reliability would also be a factor. The 1XS will be powered by an Aerosport IO-375 with a Twisted Composite 7662, the 2XS a Lycon with a propeller to be determined. The 2B & 2C will have the stock AEIO-540's. Invite BPA, Performance Engines and PY to provide something.
Then goes to the question which is structurally the best. Under a Non Disclosure Agreement - ask someone fromBerkeley’sSchool of Engineering (or similar) to do an independentassessment.
The only factory built aircraft would be the 2B and 2C - the rest must have been built by the builder from plans or kits and in the experimental category.
I would propose the it is done in California (Almost a central point between Vancouver, Florida and Australia!).
The key criteria would be to have fun with it.
I would ship my 1XS and 2XS over there from Australia (when they are built), I may be able to squeeze a S1S in a container too. (I will be running a Wolf Cowl on the 2XS).
I would suggest that a pilot is nominated from Raven (maybe me??), JKE (maybe Mr Morphew?) and the other nominated from Wolf or Aviat. Maybe Steve would like to come on over and have some fun. All pilots would need an minimum of 500 to 1000 hrs on Pitts.
At a minimum, it would be great exposure for the Biplane community and and for vendors. We consumers can take a look at these aircraft, engines and props side by side. I am sure it would attract a fair bit of attention.
Though I would throw the challenge out there anyway. I am sure we can find a S2B, S2C, S1 and Model 12 in the CA area.
And Kevin builds me a Model 12S for free (regardless of any outcome!)
Andrew

Latest posts

Back