• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Acroduster vibration, time to bail out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I might have figured out the vibration issue but maybe not? It doesn't matter because 160 HP just isn't enough.

After completing the phase 1 sign-off and doing the W&B I found it could only be flown with Marcia in the front pit within a very narrow fuel load@ 1320#. I could "fix" that with a 3" prop extension and/or going back to a the heavy starter. But it's not really a fix.

Bottom line, today we found that @ 1317# gross and 90F. the airplane is a pig, climbs like a C150. Except for my Phase 1 V-speed test when I loaded the front seat with sand bags(which was a cool day) I have been flying the airplane at more like 1200#. It's no Pitts but fun enough to fly. But I don't need a single place airplane (unless a Pitts):D. The plan was always for it to be a family airplane.

We flew around awhile before landing back at home. I asked Marcia what she thought? She offered two things,

"I liked the Starduster Too better."

"I'd just as soon fly the Spezio."

I was thinking exactly the same thing as regards the Spezio.

My next thing to do was dynamic balance. Why bother? I will most likely sell the IO320B1A as a core. Marcia suggested finding a decent O360. I don't know if I want to basically start over? We can't afford two airplanes. Basic Med for me is problematic. I could fly the airplane single place with a 180-200 HP @ 1320# but I don't want to do that. If we keep an airplane going it has to be for both of us. Marcia says she doesn't care but I do.

Oh well. I'll think about it but I'm leaning toward two FS ads, one for the engine and another for the airframe.

It's been a blast. I'm glad I did it but frankly I'm tired.

Warm regards,

Jack

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back