• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Acrosport 1 propeller pitch with O-290-D2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CXdriver

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hi All

I have an Acrosport 1 which is fitted with an O-290-D2 engine. I currently have a Sensenich 74DM6-0-52 prop fitted and I am finding that my cruise performance is pretty poor. I am only getting 100mph at between 2,350 and 2,400 rpm! I am getting good take-off performance and it climbs at 1,200fmp at 80mph indicated (as would be expected with a 52 prop).

The engine has recently been rebuilt and runs very well indeed. It has a tendency to reach red line immediately after take-off if I get the aircraft into ground effect and let it accelerate above 90mph. As a result of this, I find I need to throttle back to keep the RPM below red line on 99% of my departures.

I am considering re-pitching my current prop or putting a 74DM6-0-54 prop on my machine.

I would be happy to sacrifice some take-off/climb performance if I could get a few more MPH from my machine. I am also guessing I will get increased fuel economy/less engine wear due to lower cruise RPM.

The question is, does anybody out there have any experience of operating the O-290-D2 powered Acrosport 1 and what prop would you recommend? What cruise, climb and take-off performance are you getting from that engine(O-290)/prop combination?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

J

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back