• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Advice needed on upper wing aft spar attach plate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Skybolt that has turned out to be a buyer's beware lesson from hell. I was hoping I could pick your collective brains for advice.

The trouble is the upper wing incidence is set at 2.4deg. The error is at the aft attach plates. They weren't made to plan, or were bolted too high on the spar and don't set the upper wing to the proper incidence of 1.5deg. To set the upper wing incidence to plan I would need to lower the aft attach 5/16" (in order to raise the trailing edge of the wing). The other option I considered was adding material to the aft attach plates...this experiment ended when I couldn't keep the heat dissipation under control on a prototype even with a CO2-cooled copper heat sink. Another other option I have is to get into the upper wing and install new aft attach plates. What I don't know is exactly what is under the fabric and ply and how difficult it will be to access them and unbolt them. I know I will need to pull the aux. fuel tank, which entails skinning the entire center section. Also, I would like to avoid pulling the aft bow and hand-grab. My third option is to build a new aft cabane to match my screwed up wing. This may just turn out to be my only or best option even though screwing up perfectly straight cabanes to match a screwed up wing bugs me.
Thank you for your time. I truly appreciate anything you can offer. As you can imagine my frustration level is pretty high over this experience.

Latest posts

Back