• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Advice on the use of Steen plans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pylon80

Reaction score
Hi all,

After some research, I finally decided to build a Pitts S1!

I chose the S1C plans ("CAD version") from Steen Aero Lab. These plans feature an increased lower span, similar to a S1D or S1S, compared to the old S1C's. Also the ailerons are longer than those on a S1D (they start at rib #3). So far, so good.

Just as I received my plans, I was able to borrow old photocopies of original S1D drawing (from Pitts Enterprise) from a friend. They are scaled down copies and low quality but they still enabled me to review the differences compared to the Steen plans.

Well, they are quite a few differences! Overall, the Steen plans seem less accurate and I found a few omissions and mistakes on top of differences in the basic structure (ribs for instance).

I was wondering if anyone had built from the Steen plans, or knew of someone who did, or knew of a S1 that had been built from these. I can certainly correct whatever mistake I see, using judgement and the copies of S1D plans, but it leave me wondering about the errors I may not find! Advice anyone?

Note: This will be my first build...maybe not a great time to start re-designing the whole airplane! Also, M6 (flat) airfoil and only 2 ailerons is what I want. I am aware that Aviat are selling their S1S plans :)

Latest posts

Back