• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Am I Crazy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprinkdawg

Reaction score
Ok, so I just got my pilot's license less than a year ago, and every time I see a biplane at the local airport, I really wish that's what I was flying. I have never flow in a biplane, but there is something romantic about an open cockpit and two wings. I have spent the better part of two months trolling this forum and other web resources looking at different biplanes, and I really like the Skybolt. I looks like there is a lot of builder support available, and there are plenty flying. I'm not looking to do a whole lot of acro, but if I get bit by the acro bug, I would like to have something that I can have a good time in.

Anyway, I think I might be crazy because for some reason, I have it in my mind that I should build an airplane. I have never built an airplane before, I don't have much money, I don't have a big area to build the plane in (1 car garage, at least for now) and I don't have a bunch of woodworking tools.

I do have plenty of time, I figure it will take around 10 years or so to complete, and I am incredibly anal about things being perfect that I build. I have built race cars before and I'm pretty good with my hands.

So, please, someone, tell me I'm crazy and I'd be getting in WAY over my head undertaking a project like this. Any advice would be great!

On a side note, I would really like to get a look at a skybolt at Sun 'n Fun this year if anyone knows if there will be one there. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back