• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Am I too big and too tall for a Pitts S-1S?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cludwig

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered, I would think it has but I couldn't find the answer using the search function.
Am I too big for a Pitts S-1S?
I am 6'1" and about 240lb (186 cm and 112kg). I've started on a diet, but I am a big guy. Even when not carrying extra weight, I weigh in around 215lb. That is lightest I could ever hope to be.
I am very much wanting to start a homebuilt project, and with the limited space I have to build and the performance I am looking for, the Pitts S1 makes great sense.
I am thinking of an open cockpit Pitts. That way I can use a seat type parachute and have more leg room and more space between me and the panel. With no canopy, there is less height restriction. Also, I live in Florida where the added airflow is welcome.
Any members out there of similar size that fly a Pitts S1?
Any mods in particular which would make the squeeze easier?
Any idea of typical S1S empty weights (180 hp motor, composite fixed pitch prop, minimal electric system for a starter, radio and transponder)? I'd hate to find I fit, but am over gross with fuel.
Diet advice is alsohumblyaccepted. :)
Thanks in advance for replies!!

Latest posts

Back