• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Another Pitts S1-11B

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am looking to build a pitts S1-11B or a S1 and would like some solid advice on where to find IO-540 or IO-360 engines and a kit for the air frame. I saw a plane on here where someone also managed to install clear panels on the floor which was awesome. I am not super thrilled about the prospects of building a plane up but I have been looking on barn stormers and other various sites and alot of the pitts I see are run out or beat up (I have been told anything more than 600 hrs on a acrobatic engine is in need of a core change out or a certified rebuild because of the torque put on the engine in aerobatic flight), either that or they are sky high expensive.

I have concerns about building up an air frame and then not being able to find a suitable engine, should I start by finding the engine and prop combination that I want first and storing it and then start working on the air frame. I called air power and they want ALOT of money for a new engine if you dont have a core to trade in and cores for a IO-540 are like 8500 plus another 30k for a new rebuilt one but I have seen ones on trade a plane for like 24k but they did not list total time so I assume there is a reason for the low price. I would also be happy with a 200+ hp IO-360 with the appropriate air frame.

I am wondering if good deals on motors are really real and if building up a plane is a smart thing to do and will actually save me money or if I should just finish out my licence and wait 3 or so years until I have the money saved to buy what I want in cherry condition or even have one special built with a new rebuilt engine.

A little humor - it seems like it takes some back room dealing to get good deals on engines that are in good shape. I figure it will either take me 3 years to build a plane up or 3 years to save the money lol.

Building it up would be cool because then I could get exactly what I want between thoes clear panels on the undercarriage combined with a high hp engine and the color scheme and hopefully save a non trivial amount of money by doing alot of my own work. I dont have any experience so I would be learning as I go along, my job is engineering so im not worried about figuring things out.

Once I have a cherry pitts in the hangar ready to go I will fly to arizona to get duel time in a pitts, also thinking about installing a camera in the pitts so I can see what the heck im doing when I land, maybe like a little heads up display.

does everyone else have the same struggles, should I basicly just save like 70 grand and then start thinking about this?

Hoping I can pull this off before I run out of time (ie die).

Latest posts

Back