• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Any advice on buying a lycoming?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smarcoux

Registered Users
Reaction score
Other than the mountain of other things going on in life there is the ever present nagging question that is in my head.
How do I go about buying an O-320?

Besides diesels and aircraft engines, I have worked on or rebuilt nearly every other kind of engine in the normal walks of life. Hell I have even had the privilege of tuning up an original unrestored Cobra.(remarkably simple engine) By no means am I bragging on the contrary I am ignorant of the upcoming task.

What I have found about working on engines is using an engine is better than not using an engine. "Good enough" does not work. If you are inside the engine there are things that should be replaced for the simple reason of the engine being opened in the first place.

Last but not least money. The reason for a lot of my experience with engines is I usually do not have the funds or choose to buy new.
I do want to know the engine inside and out.
Price$?
I would love to spend less than $8,000
If I spent $5,000 on something that needs work is it going to bust through $10,000 by the time I'm done replacing the things that should be replaced just because its apart.

Rebuilding and repairing has been the means to a lot of fun over the years, but putting an O320 on a pitts brings the pucker factor to a whole new level.

Any advice on this subject or articles pointing to the right direction would be great.

Latest posts

Back