• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

API Tailwheel Shimmy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grassroots

Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone experienced shimmy with their Aviation Products tailwheel? I have the dual fork, unit for leaf spring, 6" tire. I've experienced shimmy a couple of times now, and both times it ruined the ability of the locking pin to smoothly slide in and out of the keyway. Both times, the pin binds up in the fully retracted position, which of course causes loss of tailwheel steering. Got a little sporty yesterday on a 30' wide runway. I had to punch the pin out it was so jammed up. Round edge of the pin galled a little. Aluminum block seems undamaged. I filed the galling on the pin as well as the edge of the keyway, but the pin still hits a spot deep in the keyway that binds. Can't see a good reason why. Not interested in continuing to order parts. These tail wheels seem unable to withstand even a single shimmy incident. I replaced the tailwheel spring a couple months ago, thinking that would cure my shimmy issues, but it came back yesterday. The tailwheel kingpost does still lean the wrong way (forward) when on the ground. Back to the Maule for now, which I don't really care for, but gets the job done, and seems unbothered by shimmy. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Latest posts

Back