• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

AS 1 Photos and thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstlight

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Here are some photos of the AS1 that has come into my life. I would have posted them earlier, but I have been living without a computer for a while.

It is a well built airplane, by Gary Deem in Michigan. Gary built a Skybolt, Corby Starlet and something else before this one. He's flying a very pretty Smith Mini right now. When he's not making airplanes for himself, he works part-time for Greg Panzl in his unlimited monoplane shop.

This has a 150 HP O-320 with Christen oil and Airflow Performance FI. It is a lovely flying airplane.

The airplane rolls on tiny tires that fit inside sexy but very small Panzl wheel spats. I will need to be replacing the tires soon anyway (pavement landings eat them quickly), and am considering going to larger wheels or tires.

It is my first biplane experience, and is the culmination of a boyhood dream. I flew for an hour and a half (and 10 landings) yesterday and just about froze solid in our sub-freezing upstate NY weather. But it was just too pretty a day not to fly.

I initially found the pavement landings to be pretty exciting. I still approach every one with 100% focus and attention, but I have found the airplane will forgive me for greater errors than I originally believed. I do avoid significant crosswinds when I can. The sink rate power-off in the turn from downwind to final is eye-watering. It makes for a very tight, very high-performance pattern that is tremendously satisfying to fly well. In this cold weather I am doing complete patterns to 1300 AGL, all inside the airport boundary.

I am unhappy with the shoulder strap location. I am tall, and these will break my back if I ever needed them to keep my face out of the panel. I would like to replace them with Hookers, but I first want to figure out a way to get a much higher shoulder attach point. Does anybody have any retrofit thoughts?

Cheers,

WBK

warming up the bipe.jpg

IMG_0234_2.jpg

IMG_0235_1_2.jpg

IMG_0237_1.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

Latest posts

Back