• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

AS1 cowling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gha111

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I've got all the tail feathers and wings covered and rib stitched on my AS1 rebuild. Thought I would tackle the cowling from a new nose bowl back to the turtle deck before covering the fuselage. Since my original bird differs greatly from the plans, I am in a quandary as to which way to go. On my AS1 the top cowling from the firewall back to the instrument panel is a total of 4 pieces plus the small bits around the cabanes. The plans show 1(one) piece that looks like you could never get it off, if you ever got it on. My old plane had one panel from the firewall to the bulkhead just behind the fuel tank. Then it splits into 3 panels back to the instrument panel. One center panel just behind the roll wires with a little filler piece at the roll wires, then 2 panels on either side of the center panel that roll down to the cabanes and the upper longerons. Then, of course, the small pieces around the cabanes. These are really an eyesore as each plate has it's own number of screw holes, from 3 to 12, and then somewhere in between. In looking at Flamini2's Acro 2 nose bowl setup to get some ideas for my nose bowl, I see what looks like a single panel behind the firewall, but that's an AS2, which I know nothing about. I would like to keep this area as clean as possible, but want to have it accessible as possible also, as I found that I was diving under those panels more than I would have thought.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Garry

Latest posts

Back