• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Beggs Muller in a 7ECA....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssmdive

Reaction score
Not Pitts, but thought I would share.....

So for fun I decided to use Beggs-Muller in the Citabria. Since I use it in the Pitts and it works great.

So I climb up and start the spin as normal. Airspeed drops, buffet, kick left rudder and the spin starts.

I let it get about 3/4 around and I make sure the throttle is pulled fully back and let go of the control stick. As soon as I let go, the control stick dives almost full left aileron and almost full down elevator. The speed at which it moved to the left down position can only be described as 'scared rabbit speed'.

When I do BM in the Pitts, the stick just sort of bobbles in the center with maybe a little left aileron and maybe a bit of up elevator. That did not happen here.

Knowing that with a left peddle upright spin, left aileron is anti spin... I was not worried. Also in the Citabria for a spin stop with a bit of pop, just an inch or so of down elevator works wonders. So I went ahead and switched from left rudder to right rudder. The change was instant and it felt violent.

You know how when you take a plane that does not do a lot of negative 'G' you get a lot of debris flying off the floor? Well the second after I stomped right rudder I feel myself hanging from the straps and I see a dead mosquito hovering a few inches in front of my face and heading towards the ceiling.

I say to the intercom, 'Huh, that's not right' and I can see the world is still spinning. I sight down the cowling and it looks like I am going right now and I am still negative and hanging from the straps.

So now that I am pretty sure BM does not work I decide to revert back to the NASA spin recovery (PARE).... But as soon as I grab the stick and pull it to neutral I let off the right rudder and BAM! The spin stopped.

I am now about 5-10 deg negative in a dive at 2800 feet and my airspeed is going through 80-90MPH. The Citabria pitches faster than it rolls, so I do a 3G pull out figuring that my 70* per second roll rate will take longer an build more speed than just pulling through the extra 5-10 degrees.

All said and done I am at 2500 feet and just cruising along.

The G meter shows a -2 on it. The best I can figure is I either cross over spun or *maybe* an outside snap due to the negative elevator and stomping the right rudder. But I think the left full aileron would hurt, not help a snap and man that timing would have to be perfect.

In either case, I am not willing to try it again for science... Screw science. And my unofficial published result is: Beggs Muller in a Citabria = Bad.

Latest posts

Back