• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Bending brake isnt giving me the right bend radiu

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddie

Reaction score
Hey All,

I had a problem with getting the correct bend radius when making my heeltrays in a bending brake (not a press brake) and I wondered if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I needed to make a 90 degree bend with a .125" radius in a piece of 0.050" thick 3003-H14 aluminum.

I adjusted the setback to 0.175" (0.125" radius plus 0.050" material thickness) on the bending brake. When I made the bend, the material bent right at the clamping point with a really tight radius (0.025-0.050") instead of the 0.125" that I should have seen. The grain of the material was perpendicular to the bend line.

Do I need to also insert a piece of material with a 0.125" radiused edge into thebrake on top of the aluminumto act as a 'former' to keep the radius correct? Will I have this same problem with steel as well?

I'm really confused. I followed the set-up instructions to the letter and even double-checked everything, but the bend kept coming out way too tight.

Thanks in Advance,

Ed

Latest posts

Back