• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Bought the Skybolt Plans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabeagpilot

Reaction score
I figured I'd take the time to introduce myself and maybe get a couple of questions answered at the same time.

First, a little about me. I've been an automotive technician and a Class 8 truck technician my entire professional career. I've recently started an endeavor into becoming a spray pilot and am about to finish my private license then move into inst, comm and then go to a 137 school in Georgia. In my time involved, I was recently turned onto experimental and homebuilt aircraft through a flyin with the local EAA chapter. I was looking at the planes involved and everybody was building a Vans. I'm far from a herd follower and decided on another route. I've always loved the lines of biplanes. After doing so serious consideration. (See begging rides) I decided on the Steen Skybolt. (I'm too big to fit in a Pitts comfortably). I just got my plans the other day, and am about to begin on wing construction.

I figured I had better add this in. I am a welder and have good experience running a Tig, but have limited experience with 4130. Wood working will not be too big of an issue, as my father and I both enjoy woodworking.

My main question right now involves the nose ribs. I can't find any specs in my plans or instructions for what kind of Birch to use. I can get either the laminate that is birch veneer with a basswood filler or a true ply that is birch faced on both sides. I also found the same woods in Aircraft Spruce, but have no idea on which one to go with. Any suggestions? Drawbacks or advantages to either choice?

Latest posts

Back