• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Brakes, brakes, and more brakes! (and paint) :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George_Pfaltzgraff

Reaction score
So I finally got to work on the plane (school is starting to slow down) and I decided to work on the brakes, since I need to have landing gear, and I'm re-painting it. So a couple questions, the first one being, the brakes. Do I want the calipers to be flush to the torque plate? should I place some shims between the pads and the disk?

So my 'fitment' plan is as follows:

bolt the torque plate down
slide the caliper into the torque plate, holding it flush
put the wheel assembly in, with a shim between the disk and pad
measure distance between torque plate and the inside hub
cut a piece of pipe to fit
replace hub and pipe, tighten down the shaft nut
turn it out, 1/4 to 1/2 turn, drill holes to lock nut in place
BAM! fully assembled landing gear.

so is the above plan of assembly correct? what shim width should I use?

And lastly, Paint. The damn thing is southwest airlines orange! I was reading that the paint needs to be epoxy paint. What paint should I use? should I sandblast everything off to save weight? I would like to use automotive paint (right color) is that ok or do I need to match the automotive color to an aircraft paint code?

Thanks guys :) If there is anything else I'm forgetting (and I'm sure there is) feel free to mention it :)

Latest posts

Back