• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Brush-on or roll on primer / topcoat for steel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fidot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Soo... No, this is not for an airplane; though I might consider flying this fridge: I think by the time Im done with it, I will have more hours in it than a typical RV :)

This is a 100% offtopic: but, I can't imagine a better group of folks to ask this question to.. Please bear with me.

Backstory: I have got my hands on a really good fridge with great bones; but it's 20 years old; and Im fixing it up. One of the problems was rust on the front of the actual "fridge"; on some spots of the surface that is contacted by the door gasket. See image at the end.

I am trying to paint those. Limitations are: I can't spray; and whatever I use can't be too toxic. Reason I can't spray is 'cause the fridge is.. well, inside my house :). Im trying to find a brush/roll on solution.

After chatting with a friend, bit the POR-15 marketing pitch and got some rust preventative coating and their 1-part topcoat.

Sanded old paint off. Degreased / flushed. Ran their "Metal Prep" which seems to be a soup of phosphoric acid and zinc phosphate to "etch" i.a.w. their instructions.

The actual rust preventative (I used "silver") went on beautifully, flowed and leveled off nicely. 2 coats.

Then, their topcoat (as they say, it can go over POR-15 directly w/o primer).

That's where the problems started.

First of, it was too thick (they tell you not to thin it for brush-on); and it didn't flow out: lots of streaks (I was using a simple disposable foam brush).

Second, two coats with ~2 hours in between (cure to slight finger drag) have now been sitting for 3 days with no appreciable gain in hardness over the last 2. I can still "dip" my nail in one of the strokes!

Pretty much sure at this point that Im taking it off, I tried scraping it off: and succeeded: it comes off in nice curly "chips" similar to that of a handplaned wood.

So now, Im at a point where I need to find a better coating solution.

Reason I don't want to just take off the botched coat of POR-15 topcoat and recoat: I could fix the brush streaks with using a roller, Im pretty sure; but the fact that it doesn't seem to harden is turning me off.

Can someone recommend something that I can brush or roll on, that would flow and level, and, most importantly, be resilient enough to handle door gasket closing / opening against it for considerable amount of time (say, 5-10 years); or is this pretty much a futile exercise?

Another question: should I be taking off the POR-15 itself as well? My gut feeling says that I should and just start from scratch if Ill be moving to the new "system"...

fridge.jpg

Latest posts

Back