• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Buying / Sourcing Material

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fidot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I cannot believe this myself, but I might actually make my first part in about a month and a half :) Decided to start with wings due to the fact that most tools I have are wood-working... as most folks probably do. However,

...I am somewhat perplexed (can you put these 2 words together??) with the material situation.

There are a few ways I can see this proceeding:

- Buy as you go from a local store. I believe this is pretty much impossible unless you're really close to any of AS's or Wick's warehouses (which Im not)
- Order as you go from a supplier (and pay freight every time).
- Order in bulk from a supplier (and pay freight once or get a good discount).

I am in a quite unique position to buy all of the material necessary (I have room to store it; and enough of it to store wood in a climate controlled environment). It only seems to make sense, since freight charges will be less (or 0 if I go with Aircraft Spruce and buy $5000K+ worth of stuff). Plus, rising costs and such...

Given that I want to make one purchase for bulk material (steel sheet, rod, tube; spruce capstrip, spar stock; various ply) and not have to purchase it ever again, I need a really good BOM.

Now; obviously I understand that with BOMs there's an 'it depends' situation, different skill produces different level of waste; etc; but I think it's possible to come up with such a BOM that won't over-buy, leave some room for waste, while giving you a high chance of not having to purchase additional material.

... which seems to be a major PITA ...

- Beej'es Manual includes a partial BOM (no ribs). This is the one I am inclined to trust the most, for mysterious reasons unknown :)
- Steen includes a partial BOM (ie, ribs are not 'broken down' on it)
- Both AS and Wick's have 'kits'; but they're partial (no ply @ AS and Wicks was missing something too; i forgot what). Not sure if I can trust those..

How did you guys deal with bulk; rough material?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back