• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Cap strip selection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Bolt

Reaction score

Hey all! Much like Eric K. I am going to be away from home for an extended period and would like to make a little headway on my Culp special. I am going to do similar by cutting the bits and pieces for my wing ribs and assemble them in my room during the evenings or days that I can’t fly. I had a quick question about the cap strip materials. I see that aircraft spruce lists the 1/4x1/4 cap strips but they have a note at the bottom "Cap strip may be cut from "C and better" graded spruce as it is a nonstructural." <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

So from what I understand I could go to the local lumberyard and select some reasonable (the best I canfind)spruce 1x4 and mill it down providing the grain is reasonably straight and knot free. I am not afraid to used good wood but the shipping is really expensive and if I can save a few bucks getting the wood locally then it is a bonus for me!

Thanks so much for the direction and the builder’s manual is great!

Latest posts

Back