• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

centersection tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been busy making up a centersection tank here. I'm hoping there are no glaring errors...but i'm going to duck my head and show you my work.

I started with a rib pattern and then made my upper and lower skins.
The picture shows the skins with an undersize oak form for the baffles and end-caps.

20071229_204107_skinplug.jpg

I made a pattern on deltacad and taped it to aluminum to cut out the blanks. I used a jigsaw..but a bandsaw would be better. I drilled relief holes in each corner before bending.

20071229_204328_pattblank.jpg

I bent the flanges 3 sides...then hammered the top curve over the oak form.
20071229_205104_blockblk.jpg

Flanges bent....i marked the tank inside and made up all the spanwise baffles.

Next i put some holes in the baffles ...2". There are also areas in the baffle corners where fuel can spill thru.

That done i put in a few clecos to keep things lined up. I used a string across the top baffles for alignment, along with a straight line on the tank bottom and a triangle to stand everything up straight.

20071229_205825_opentank.jpg

The top still fits!

20071229_210428_sealed.jpg

One more picture.
20071229_212335_fr&

Edited by: bigblackmastiff

Latest posts

Back