• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Christen inverted low oil pressure during flicker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joaoaires

Reaction score
Hi,

I do know there a couple of threads about this subject. Nonetheless i think i could use some extra help.
I have a 2011 Lycoming factory rebuilt AEIO540-D. It has the "standard" Christen 801 for inverted oil system. I am currently using TOTAL aviation 15W50 (same as aeroshell 15w50).

Lately i have been experiencing a abnormal behaviour of the oil pressure when rolling inverted. During upright flight a get a steady 80 psi pressure. After i roll inverted the flicker of the oil pressure goes really low, down to 20 psi, and it take about 2-3 sec to recover to normal value 70 psi. After i do this a couple of times, the values get a bit better, but still below manual values and previous behaviour.

The manual states that the flicker can last about 1 sec or up to 5 sec if you have restrictor type fitting on oil pressure gauge. That seems to be the case of my gauge, so time lag is no problem here. The problem is that the manual also states that the pressure reduction should not be more than 30 psi, so 80 psi minus 30 psi, should be around 50psi. Before this later flights i was getting even better performance than the limits of the manual, but now, i am getting these low numbers. My maintenance company performed all the steps of the troubleshooting of the manual (nowadays the lycoming engine manual contains a section for the christen 801). Did not work, problem remains.

Any idea of problems not covered by the manual troubleshooting that could be leading to this? I have read about the O-ring in the plug behind the screen being worn out and about the hoses witdh (this last makes no sense because everything was ok a couple of flights ago).

Anyone with same situation?

Thank you a lot for your time and patiente.
(i have no maintenance experience, only flying and "reading" skills...)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back