• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Citabria Ailerons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melndav

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I know there are Citabria/Decathlon groups, but this is the most knowledgeable aviation forum on the internet. I‘m sure some of you guys have lots of time in the ole Citabrick, so I figured I’d ask here. We have a nice 7GCAA that I fly a lot. It’s about 5 years out of a Bully Aero restoration, is rigged properly, and flies/stalls straight. We have the McMillan spar and spades that mount inboard and pickup to aileron actuator rod end. I’ve taught aerobatics in this airplane quite a bit and the ailerons are the pretty standard borderline “set in concrete” above 100mph which is what I’ve come to expect from the type.
Recently I’ve started teaching a very talented 15 yr old kid in his family‘s 7GCBC, and he’s done so well I have actually flown the airplane very little. Tonight I took it and flew it around a few minutes and, holy cow, the ailerons were unbelievably light (relatively speaking.) His airplane is a late 90’s ACA built with the factory metal spar and spades on the outboard end of the ailerons. I noticed his wing struts a a little fatter but, otherwise, I can’t see any obvious reason that a airplane with 3-4‘ more wing has such light forces. It’s not like a Decathlon, but when compared to the norm it seemed really light. Sure wish I could make ours feel the same way. Anybody know what’s up here?

Latest posts

Back