• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Close one today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ioneater

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had an engine chip light appear for approximately 1 second then disappear while on the ground. Quick enough that no audio tone was generated with the caution flag. No prior chip history in the engine with just over 1000 TSN. Making well above spec on the recent power assurance check. I'm thinking we've got a shielding and/or connector issue at one of the chip detectors. Pick it up and land at base 2.3 miles away. Mention the one time flicker to the mechanic thinking we've got a signal gremlin to chase down while it's getting some other work done. Meanwhile, we've moved to the spare aircraft already on hand. An hour later he comes up to me and says with a chuckle that we better get used to the idea of flying the spare for awhile. Why? says I. Got a new engine coming for the bird, here are the chip detectors we just pulled.......

Both were covered with ferrous metal chunks and large shavings. Porcupine eggs. I showed him the goosebumps on my arms. Ho-lee-sh*t.

I've been around the block with this series of engines for nearly 25 years in some rather hairy places, diagnosing, recovering, test flying and so forth. Up until today, I've never seen one making this much metal and still running and am grateful that it got us home. It was a good day for living and learning what an erroneous Caution/Warning system can lead to.

Thanks for letting me vent......

Latest posts

Back