• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Composites 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bneub

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this for a while, reading threads, and watching YouTube videos. I know there is information scattered throughout a lot of different threads. I was hoping to not only consolidate some of that here but also get some fundamental information. I might even need corrected on a few of the terms I use.

In the next few months, hopefully, I will be ready to lay up some parts for my Skybolt. The largest being a cowl and turtle deck.

The process itself is easy to find lots of instructional information. Here are some of the items I am unsure of:

What size of vacuum pump is needed to do a part the size of a cowl half?

Is there much benefit to attempting a resin infusion over a wet layup? Does one result in a better or lighter part?

Is anyone willing to share their successful recipes to save others a bunch of trial and error? For example, the top half my top cowl was made with ____ layers of ____ weave and weight in ____ order with a core of ____… the bottom half was ... If I had to do it over again I would...

Does anyone have supplier recommendations for both equipment and supplies? A place with great technical support would be nice.

Resins - I’m scared to ask this because it is kind of a “Ford, Chevy, Dodge” question but it will most likely come up anyway. Maybe I could steer it more towards things like - when I vacuum formed my cowl, I used ____ minute hardener. For me it was too fast, too slow, or just about right.

Any other suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!

Latest posts

Back