• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Considering buying a Smith Mini Plane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwhallon

Reaction score
Hello,

There is a SMP on Barnstormers I've been following for the past month owned by Michael Plecenik, located in San Angelo, TX. It is a modified version with extended and widened fuselage, O-290 D with McCauley metal prop. I'm wondering if this airplane is a good fit for me.

Here is a video link to the actual N# Smith Mini. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp3V6qLKKyM[/ame]

First and foremost I have never owned an airplane before or flow in a SMP and am also fairly low time pilot with a whooping 110 hours in Cessna 172s and Pipers and also need my tail wheel endorsement, so not ready to purchase tomorrow. From what I've read online it seems like a good starter plane to build experience and would be a little more fun for me because I love biplanes.

I've flow from the front in a Acrosport and a Steerman; are they is any way comparable? How are the SMP flight characteristics? What can I expect from maintenance for a fabric covered airplane? Insurance coverage?

Lots of unknowns, but one step at a time. Basically trying to figure out if this plane would be a good buy to build experience and have some lazy afternoons joy rides in.

Thanks for reading and any help you offer!

-Jess

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back