• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Control Stick, Part 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottly

Reaction score
In the builder's manual, Section H, Chapter 1, Page 14, shows an alternative method of making the stick-to-stickpush rod. My rod is a slightly different version. Instead of using square tubing, I use 5/8" x .058 tubing. In this tubing I fit a couple of AN490-10 threaded rod ends. I did this by putting the ends in a lathe and turning about.010 off the diameter so that they were a tight fit in the .058 tubing. You must also cut about 1/4" off each threaded end. Be careful doing this so you don't bugger up the threads.
I cut a 60deg v-notch in the tubing andwelded the ends on. I got this:

20080113_182932_stick_to_stick.jpg

In order to measure how long the tubes need to be, I left the torque tube in the jig I built, but I changed out the bolts at the stick mounting point to some long 1/4", 5" long bolts that allowed me to mount the sticks on the outside of the boots, so I could easily measure the length of the stick-to-stick tubing. By clamping my jig in a vice, thisallowed me to easliy set each stick at 90deg to the torque tube while I measured it.

I used a RE4F5 bearing end on each end to aid in adjustability and smoothness.

So, the sticks have bearings, the stick-to-stick tubes have bearings....and so far, so good. Everything is butter-smooth.

20080113_183352_stick_to_stick1.jpg

Latest posts

Back