• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Cooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
In an attempt to educate myself concerning aircraft cooling I have come across two recommendations.
Recommendation A = Have a minimum 0f .35 sq. inches of inlet cooling air per HP.
Recommendation B = Have a minimum of 30% more cooling exit area than inlet area.
Using those recommendations, the math for my 160 HP 0-320 - - -
160 x .35 = 56 sq. inches of cooling inlet area.
56 x 30% = 17 + 56 = 73 sq. inches of cooling exit area
My new nose bowl has slightly over 100 sq. inches of inlet area, enough to cool almost 300 HP - - using the "recommendations."
My question, are these nose bowls built to the worst case scenario and the end user can glass off any un-needed area ?
I'm right at the point of cutting the exhaust outlet in my lower cowling and would like to get it somewhat correct.
Any suggestions / recommendations etc. you guys can give me are greatly appreciated.
Two things to factor in are ;
1) I am going with a wing mounted oil cooler similar to Sam Swift's installation so don't factor it into cowling cooling needs and
2) I am going with an enclosed carbon plenum chamber, not using the standard rubber baffling strip.
Thank you,

Latest posts

Back