• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Crankshaft inspection & overhaul source recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Kovach

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm doing a certified overhaul on the HIO-360 core I purchased for my personal S1-SS project. Where do you like to send your crankshafts and crankcases? I've recently seen some questionable work and have heard some horror stories connected with some of the usual "go-to" names. I'd like to catch up on who everyone likes these days.

In return, I offer Airflow Performance as a stellar place to go when it comes to fuel injection. I just had a situation where a certified repair station could easily have run me through the overhaul mill. Because of favorable comment's I've read on this forum, I sent my Decathlon's RSA-5 to Airflow Performance a few weeks ago. It had suddenly developed significant binding in the mixture control shaft. I sent it out on a blank-check basis which is the way I prefer to have all of my engine work done. Without influence from me, they told me that all I needed was a repair and that an overhaul was not necessary. Moreover, they would provide all of the legal paperwork to back this up. Additionally, I was in a hurry to get it back and they turned it around darn quick for me - even though I was a first-time customer.

To me, the above speaks very well of the company. I wasn't "oversold". It runs great. They are hanging their hat on it. And it was much less expensive than the $2,200 overhaul that was done (incorrectly?) by another outfit several years ago.

Looking forward to hearing your favorites for crankshafts and crankcases.

Thanks! Kim

Latest posts

Back