• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Disgruntled

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpin

Reaction score

Many of my posts have been questions regarding creature comfort in my newly acquired Skybolt. I love the handling and flying characteristics but hate the noise and lack of good communications when flying with the front cockpit open or with a passenger. I have tried a David Clark hard helmet with face shield, David Clark soft helmet and goggles, Gentex Helmet, and Mic Muffs. None of these helped very much. I wear glasses and goggles do not seem to work very well. The mic muffs did not do a lot of good to reduce noise. Today I willtape up one or two of the holes in the leather muff to see if this makes any difference. I have purchased a PS Engineering PM 1200 intercome. It is not installed yet maybe this will make some difference. I also experience a vaccum in front of my nose and mouth from the air moving forward that at time can make itdifficult to breath. The Gentix helmet had an adjustable face shieldthat was actuated by a knob in a slot. The slot created noise with the air rushing through it. I read an article thatsaid the Great Lakes is extremelyquiet in the cockpit. I have also been told by a Skybolt pilot that his is quiet. I noticed his has a larger wind screen. How high should it be? How far around should it go? It the angle of the screen and therefore the opening to the cockpit a factor? How high or low should I be sitting in the cockpit? Presently I can just see the edge of the nose bowl screws. Any lower and I can not see forward in level flight. I am also considering CED devices. Any help other than put a canopy on would be appreciated.
Ken

Latest posts

Back