• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Drilling Critical Wing Holes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N111KX

Reaction score
Ribs are done, doublers are made, spars are marked for ribs. Now, I just need to get the nerve to drill some holes...:confused:

As a first time builder with wood, are there any wing holes that definatley need to be done with a drill press? I have seen some builders websites that show elaoborate jigs for drilling. I'm all for accuracy but after building a Kolb and a Sonex, many times one could apply the theory "you are not building a Space Shuttle" throughout and a hand drill was sufficient.

Specifically, I'll be dealing with the holes through the spar doublers first. It seems to me that using something such as an aileron bracket as a jig for it's own holes with a hand drill would work fine. Drag wire holes and the "I" strut holes obviously need to be jigged.

Any last words of caution?...:eek:

Thanks,

Kip

Latest posts

Back