• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Dropping the spin at the right place in the Box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssmdive

Reaction score
So, I flew 2 flights, 8 iterations today doing the '15 Sportsman Known. I finally found a field about the right size of the acro box near my airport.

So, after fig #3 I am finding if I don't take the start of fig#4 to almost the upwind edge of the box that I am having a bit of difficulty putting fiq#6 inside the downwind edge of the box.

So

1. Any tips on how to drop the spin exactly where I want it? When I carry power a bit to drag it to the right spot it is difficult to time when to pull it out to put the spin right where I want. I know the answer is "Repetition and coaching"…. But are there any tricks to dropping the spin when your airspeed might still be a bit high? Especially since wind will always be a variable…. For example no wind it might be roll out from fig#3 and pull power will be the perfect timing, but with a 15 MPH wind I might have to carry power till maybe mid field and I am not going to have enough flights before the next comp to figure it out through repetition to figure out timing for 5-10-15-20 MPH head winds.

2. Since the penalty for an "out" is the same as an interruption in Sportsman…. Seems that there is no real numerical benefit to take a break vs just taking the out call. But in the real world, which will the judges score better?

3. If I find myself in a bad position coming out of fig#5, should I either take the out, take a break, or rush fig#6 to try and complete it in the box? My instinct is to rush it (instead of pull and count 2, roll count 3 - Maybe pull count 1, roll count 2 for example, and maybe pull harder on the looping portion) and accept a lower score for that figure instead of taking either penalty.

Latest posts

Back