• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Eagle wing rigging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbarker

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
I thought at this years annual on my Eagle I would double check the wing rigging and also adjust the flying wire tensions. Originally I rigged the wings and tensioned the wires using the method in the Eagle plans, and it worked fine, but I always felt the wires were to loose. And I also built some of the Pitts style rigging boards this winter so thought it would be a good change to learn and try them. A couple questions on the process.

a. The original Eagle tension method was 1 1/4 inch wire deflection with a 50 lb pull. I have checked that every annual but always felt in flying it was too loose. Also compared it to Pitts that I have flown and they seemed tighter. So I bought the Holloway tool, and it says to tighten to 800-1000 lbs. tension. I did that today using the tool and they are WAY tighter than before. I remember a guy on the forum ran a test comparing the two methods, and he felt they were very similar, and maybe the pull even a bit more accurate. I found that using the tool the wires are much tighter. Any thoughts?

b. Rigging the wings I combined the rigging board method with the method in the plans and used a number of bubble and digital levels and a string level on the back of the wing. I really took my time, tighten everything slowly and now have the wing perfectly level, and the wash our within plus/minus .2 degrees. I even tried to get that out, but started chasing it back and forth. I also continue to sight across the boards; and had digital levels on the rigging boards. The question is ---- do you think .2 degrees is acceptable?

Curious --- regarding the above, the kit came with a very basic (cheap) bubble inclinometer for rigging the wings --- I know that my digital levels are much more accurate.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the above. I am also going to call Holloway in the morning and see what they say.
thanks
Mark

Latest posts

Back