• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Edge distance for steel fitting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macro

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all I hope everyone is finding some way to make lemonade out of the lemons this Covid 19 is serving up!

Anyway, question re hole edge distance on 4130 .090 fitting.
The original front flying wire fitting of this Jungster 1 has been drilled to accept an AN5 on both left and right upper wings but all the other flying and landing wires and the plans show AN4.
The edge distance with the AN5 bolt hole is not quite 1.5D as would be standard, its about .070-.080 less than 1.5D
Is this much of a problem? I cant be sure of how much aerobatics have been done on the original fittings so I have no proof that its been adequate before.
Is there an easy fix like adding a weld ridge of material round the outside of the fitting?
Or add a tear drop doubler round the hole.
Or is it make new fittings for the front flying wire.
I've included in the pictures a shot of a stress diagram for the wires at 10g, perhaps this helps someone with the required knowledge to make a judgement on if the fittings are adequate as they are. I would also be interested if someone can explain why it appears the front wire sees lees force than the rear? or am I just not reading this correctly at all?
SDC16489 (Large).JPG
SDC16492 (Large).JPG

Latest posts

Back