• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Engine Air Filter Inlet / Cowl Opening / Air Box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylanxpeters

Registered Users
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I'm in need of some up close photos of the engine air inlet on both the outside and inside of the cowling of an S-1. I'm setting up a Rotec TBI on my o-320 vertical/updraft induction.

My project came with a cowling that had a square hole in about the area of the airbox (after i made some spacers to get it there), but its set back a few inches from the cowl skin.

My luscombe is like many early low power airplanes where the cowling is tight to the airbox and no ducting or anything like that is required. With the airbox being set a few inches back from the cowling, i'm looking for recommendations.

1) Should i fabricate a cover over the hole like the red picture below? In this case, should i run some sort of ducting to the air box or just leave it in the bottom cowl not attached to the cowling?
2)Should i design or change my airbox to put it snug to the cowling like the Lucombe picture below?

The yellow aircraft below is mine for a little reference.

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 1.20.26 PM.png

IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Latest posts

Back