• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Engine mount bolt size...Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireboltBob

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for some input from the group on this issue.

I have a Firebolt fuselage that Mac Mckenzie welded up years ago. This fuselage has never flown. It has just been in storage.
The engine mount that came with this fuselage is for a O-360. The spools are 3/8". (Bolt size)

I have an AEIO-540-B4D5 that I am installing on this airframe.
I am having Steen build an engine mount for me and they recommend larger spools to accommondate 7/16" bolts.

It is not as easy as drilling out the spools on the airframe because I am told that there is not enough space/material.

I am out of the country until Monday and away from the airframe and plans.

Are the 3/8" bolts large enough for the AEIO-540?
Do I have to cut into this fuselage and weld in larger spools?
Is there another option?

Should I buy a boat? (Nix that...I already own 3 of those)

Thank you for your input.

Latest posts

Back