• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Engine oil pressure low at idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evelyn Ray

Reaction score
I have an O-320 that was OH a long time ago and then had a big top overall in 2001. Since that time it only has roughly 450 hours SMOH, and 300 STOH. I noticed the oil pressure goes low when I come back from flying (~20 psi). So I did a lot of checking. The oil pressure gauge matches an external gauge (it is direct pressure), but it did show about 5 psi low difference after the oil was hot. I replaced the spring with a heavy duty spring and new ball in the relief valve. I also reformed the seat as described by Lycoming and lapped it too. I changed the oil and cut open the filter. No metal visible in the filter, but I did sent out for oil analysis. When I first start up, the pressure goes to between 80-90 at idle. On takeoff with the oil temp of 105, it reads as high as 95. in flight I pulled the throttle back to 1500 and it drops to 55-60. When I landed and taxied back it was reading 25 at 800 RPM. The oil pump was replaced at the top overhaul in 2001 and I think it is good based on the pressures that I do get.All on the lower end of the spectrum, but within range. But when I got oil analysis back, it was high in Iron(46.2), Chromium (64.1), and Aluminum (21.6). Copper was elevated at 15.5. The remaining ones (Nickel, Lead, Silicon) are all good. I pulled the bottom plugs, and 2 were fouled with oil and a couple of drops of oil fell out. I did look in the cylinders with a bore scope. I see some scuffing on one, but nothing obvious. I have not performed a compression test yet. I have owned the plane for 1 year and put about ~40 Hours or so on it.

Sorry for the long write up, but wanted to give the background. But now, I am not sure what to do. Is this indicative of needing an overhaul, top overhaul, rings, or?

Thanks,
Bryan

Latest posts

Back