• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Engine Options and Inverted systems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tootallpilot

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been looking and trying to find a engine to put in my Skybolt D, named Loopy Bird. I know that I want to go with an IO-540, but what dash should I use?

I have seen [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-C4B5, -[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] K1A5 and some others used in biplanes.
Q? 1. What would fit in a Skybolt? I did see a Black and Red Skybolt where they cut the cowling so that the vale covers came out. To me that looked dumb, and a last min fix and is not what I want to do to Loopy Bird.

Q? 2. I would like to have a min of 250HP would love to have a 300+HP, which dash can handle that HP?

Q? 3. If I get an AEIO-540, will I still need a christen inverted oil system? If I do what is the benefit of a AEIO over just a plan IO 540?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Thanks for you time
Mark

Skybolt D "Loopy Bird" N540LB

Latest posts

Back