• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Epoxy Repairs of Certified Wooden Aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyboltone

Reaction score
Here is an interesting discussion about Epoxy in certified aircraft structures. I've checked the data included here against my 1 year old copy of AC43.13.1b and there are no changes since this was written. Though the subject of the article is aircraft repair it also addresses how new aircraft, with prior FAA approval via TSO may use epoxy for specific aircraft manufacture. The rule still pertains that urea formaldehyde (resorcinol) is the only generally approved aircraft adhesive for general repair; BUT, the A&P IA may sign repairs off as being "substantially equal" and the article includes 337s to submit with the paperwork to give the local FSDO a leg up. In the case of EAB anything goes. As far as SLSA/ELSA go, they work from ASTM International Standards and none of this applies. The the case of these aircraft, the manufacturer's maintenance manual, not AC43.13 apply.

It goes to show that one (me) should read my AC43.13.1b more often. Things do change.

Here you go:

http://www.systemthree.com/reslibrary/literature/CertWoodenAircraft.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back