• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Fabricating flying wires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will V

Reaction score

When I posted to the "hangar" a while back the response was that ( especially years ago)you could use 4130 stock and cut your own threads for drag / anti- drag wires but what about flying wires? Obviously you'll give up some speed due to the drag from not using streamlined wires ( how much speed? 10mph at 140mph?? more?) but you could powdercoat them to match your paint scheme and potentially save maybe a few thousand (?) dollars over using imported stainless streamline flying wires. This may be of benefit to those on a real squeaker budget. Besides when the view over the nose is all terra firma the slower speed buildup due to your increased drag might be comforting! ;)) So is this a dumb question? I know there will be the debate over cold-rolled vs. cut threads as well. Domost plans give the size of 4130 rod you'd need to use for flying wires and drag/ anti-drag wires? Surely everbody wasn't using stainless streamlined wire in the 50' and 60's or were they? The wires use to be available domestically years ago, right? I was thinking of building a Twister Co-ed to avoid all of this but I am starting to see the value in "known flight characteristics"! Is there value in making your own flying wires? Let the opinions fly!

Latest posts

Back