• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

First Flight Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjkirby2000

Aerobat, Hawk-XP, Lancair Super-ES, Smith MiniPL
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The new Smith Miniplane has an O-320! I've had it for almost two months. The split-tip prop went to Sensenich for repair (which looks like a new prop now) and I had to change out a cracked inner-wheel AND install a handheld and GPS.

There is no comparison to the old Smith with the little Franklin. This one really claws her way to 4,000 feet at a rate of 2,000fpm. The Flapperons really do slow her down for landing just under 50. Full flaps in the turns are a little squirrelly at slower speeds but keep it above 80 and it's just slow maneuvering. Flat-out WOT indicates 145. Stalls are much more exciting with a sharp right wing drop on power-off - the other Smith just nudged over-straight away.Take-off, about 200 feet from our terrific grass - old one 800 feet. Fuel-burn 3.3gals in 25 minutes. I'm not sure why there's fuel spray on the windshield when rolling it over (the cap is vented-that could be why). The old Smith was vented but didn't leak there (from the cap).

This one IS a little heavy on the nose. The old Smith had the ability to go from 800ft to 14" in the swamp in 20 seconds. I think this one will be that by half :)10)!

Projects... 1.) Attention to the Fuel gauge 2.) Wheel Pants 3.) Canopy cover to protect the leather on the turtledeck while at Sun N Fun

See you in Lakeland!
Bj
352-344-5678Edited by: bjkirby2000

Latest posts

Back