• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Flight Data Systems FC-10 Fuel Flow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have been wanting a good actual fuel flow gauge/totalizer in my Pitts for some time now but I couldn't stomach the cost of installing one until now. I found the Flight Data Systems FC-10 Fuel Flow guage that runs both the Electronics International FAA-PMA'd "Red Cube" or the Flo Scan senders paddle wheel senders.

So when I saw that aircraft spruce had the FC-10 available for $370 http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/flightdatafc10.php?clickkey=13044 which included the $210 red cube sender in the price I jumped on it. The gauge kit actually exceeded my expectations it came with a pre-built harness and the sender came with all ready installed spade connectors. The best part is the gauge is not only a totalizer but it also can recieve GPS data and do computations to next waypoint and also MPG calcs on the fly.

The installation was really easy as it fits in a 2 1/4" gauge slot with pre-taped #6 screw holes (so blind installation) The RS-232 connector was pre-built and nicely wired (with aircraft wiring) with lots of spare length for a long run of power, comms (GPS), and sender power and data lines. All I had to do is tie in to my power bus with a 1A fuse and crimp three spades to install the sender. The gauge is really slim too about (3/4") yeah 0.75" I don't have an alternator, but no problem there as it only draws 70 ma which is almost like its not there.

I installed the sender between my wobble pump and firewall bulkhead fitting about 7" forward of my wobble pump. Total install time was about 4.5 hours with pulling three panels and half the engine cowling to remove my old fuel injection pressure based system.

In-flight the system works great and seems to jive with my sight glass (post flight) which is very accurate (well to the 1/2 gallon). The only issue (and this is a small one) is that the fuel used is reset on power up, but the reason this a small issue is that the total fuel left, if entered correctly will remain so you technically have a digital fuel gauge. So for me I just get the fuel where I want it set it into the totalizer and then right before I shut down check the amount used and then fill the tank right back to that amount.

Anyway for $370 this a steal! The next closet in price (digital or analogue) is the MGL avionics $265 + $210 = $475 but doesn't include the harness.

I'll get some pictures up shortly just didn't take any in my haste.
Here is the flight data systems website which has more info:
http://www.fdatasystems.com/Products/FC-10/FC-10.html

10-03150.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back