• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Fly the airplane ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmelugin48

Reaction score
I had something kinda funny happen yesterday. My Great Lakes is getting it's fuselage recovered so I'm flying my Cub a lot more. I was out alternating between 3 pts and wheel landings the other day in conditions that required my attention. We had about a 30 degree crosswind at only 8 knots, but the winds was varying +/- 30 degrees and gusting to 16. To be honest that's normally "wheel landing" territory for me .. but I was doing fine taking turns.

Anyway after 7 or 8 landings I had decided my next would be my last and it was 3 pts. turn. I was just starting my flare when the wind coming in from my left got up under the bill of my cap (favorite flying cap) and tore it and my headset from my head ... and out the cub's open door ... :eek:

For a micro second I could feel the urge to switch the stick to my left hand and grab ... but a lifetime of flying education reminded me to "fly the airplane" ... :)

My headset stopped just outside the door restricted in it's travel by the cord ... and a bicycle ride a little later retrieved my hat from "the numbers" ... :) . First and foremost always .. fly the airplane.

Latest posts

Back