• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

flying/landing wire pins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This is for a S1-11B but I dont think that matters.

The drawing for the lower wing shows the 0.875 spar, 0.25 wood plate on each side, 0.090 aluminum plate on each side, a 0.375 sleeve on each side, with a 2.31 pin through it all. I get 2.305 for a demision for the stack. This means the pin is longer by .05 or so. Now the tab that the wire attches sits in the outside of the pin and stack.

Question: is the pin in the general sense supposed to be able to float and allow the wire tension to pull the tabs to the shortest path? So would I assume that 0.05 clearance allows bolt to tighten completely, yet leave the pin able to rotate? The tabs would both have to be exactly the same angle before tightening bolt. If so this means the plates and spar essentially becomes a bearing. If so, how much play is allowed in the bearing? And how would paint or any finish stick to either bearing service? Wouldnt it scrape of. esp the metal surfaces? My recollection of an S1-D wings were that the pin was able to rotate. Does such a set up wear out since it is under such high tension in direction, or since it just pulls one way and it never cares or causes problems?

Latest posts

Back