• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

fouled sparkplug on cold starts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skywolf210

Registered Users
Reaction score
ok guys, I need your advice again. I have a o-360-a4a,ellison throttle body. 200 hrs on overhaul. I have put around 30hrs on it with no oil used.
my concern is when I start it cold I seem to foul a plug. it cleans up after I run it up to 2000 and go lean, but I would feel better if I would stop fouling it. I was told by previous owner to give it 7 pumps of primer and crack throttle, he had 15w50 oil in it. I have 100w in it, 47 deg temp. when it starts it have oil psi in 3 seconds. I keep the rpm around 650 and as lean as it will run, it does not run smooth. once I have been flying and do a hot start I use no primer, crack throttle and it is running by second blade. I am sure the problem is me and not the engine. would it help to increase the rpm to 700 or maybe 800. I have been working on engines all my life and do not like to run the hard until they are up to temp. does anyone one have any advice that I can try. also when I am on the ground I keep it lean enough that it will not get above idle without changing the mixture
thanks
gary

Latest posts

Back