• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

fuel filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to install a fuel filter, because I think it is a good idea. I fuel with boat gas and 5 gallon cans. I use a funnel with a cotton flannel liner to keep it clean, pours slow, but I have a few years left. I have a gascolator rear of the firewall. It had a cable to open the valve, such as a 150. The cable stuck open and dumped gas for 10 minutes plus on a flight over the saltwater to a flyin on and island. I did not like that. I took the rod out and taped the top and put in a plug, and a sample valve on the bottom. I also have a drain on the bottom of the tank. I have a new mechanical pump and a new bendix pump as a backup, the wobble went south. If the plane sits for a few days it takes quite a bit of cranking to start unless I run the electric first. overnight, no problem. I always close the fuel valve but I have left it open to see if it makes a difference, no. I suspected air leak but the tank is higher than the carb and if the fuel shutoff is open kinda rules that out. I want to eliminate the gascolator as I suspect it, the metal on the top is a little thin to support threads and a plug. It makes a poor filter anyway. So several questions, why does cranking give the symptom of no fuel in the carb. And filter choice. ACS has a million dollar filter and a 50 cent one that looks like it came off a VW. Both are out of the question. Is there a filter out there that works and is not out of sight $ wise. Do I really need a filter?

Tks

will

Latest posts

Back