• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Fuselage Sheet Metal-or This all started with a seat back!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Tripp

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Douglas Adam’s talks about the fundamental interconnectedness of things. He must have built an airplane in a previous life. Having wrestled Steen’s seat pans into the non-standard seat frames, I wanted to install seat backs. The front one goes up to the rear bulkhead, which due to a slight misunderstanding with my welder when he added the shoulder harness support, lost all its mounting tabs is currently attached to air……

Since my sheet metal skills are minimal and I didn’t want to introduce compound curves if I could avoid it. I wound up installing the firewall and sheet metal on the top to locate the front pit bulkhead. Of course this has lead to more questions.

The previous rebuilder had started work on it and had chosen 2024 T3 .025. He also ended it in the middle of the rear cockpit, forcing a seam where you don’t want it. Since the canopy skirt needs something a little more solid to sit on, I have a couple of options.
  • Remake it with thicker skin, extending it back.
  • Double up the skin in the cockpit area. Yellowbird appears to have something like this. I have to reduce the size of the opening for the locating tabs and latches anyway.
  • Add stiffeners. What do you guys think is the best way forward?

Attachments

• IMG_2955.jpeg
    IMG_2955.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back